'Travel, in the younger sort, is a part of education; in the elder, a part of experience.'
-Francis Bacon

Wednesday 22 February 2012

Broadening your horizons

I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that, besides Christmas and my recent trip home, in the five months since moving to Italy I've only left Rome once. Back in September I took a train into Tuscany to visit a friend from Warwick, but since my return I've been a real house cat, content with my urban surroundings. However, a visit from my parents who, like me, have already enjoyed the bulk of Rome's tourist wonders (numerous times), seemed like the perfect opportunity to broaden our Italian horizons and head off to pastures new. Therefore, last week I was on a train at ridiculous o'clock in the morning, well eight o'clock, headed for Siena, just to shake things up a bit.

Checking out the view from the top of the Torre del Mangia

Siena was beautiful, and even though it's been a fortnight since the last snow, the frost in some parts of that medieval town was still yet to thaw and so we got a special view. What a treat! Walking over the cobblestones of the higgledy-piggledy streets in the sunshine was lovely. It was the first day of real sun since the snow, and I'm happy to report that ever since it seems as those winter truly is on its was out. It was a great day and now it seems I've been bitten by a trip bug. Having shown both of parents up by being the only one brave enough to climb all the way to the top of the Torre del Mangia and look out over the the Piazza del Campo, in fact the whole town and beyond, I can safely say my Italian horizons have been well and truly broadened. The view was spectacular! Next month I'm really excited about getting back on the road for more adventures. I'll be visiting new places and old friends whilst catching up with other Warwick students in both Milan and Pavia, before all of us out here on our Erasmus years head over to Venice to check in with our tutors, marvel at the town itself and look ahead to next year and our re-entry into real life.

Deep breath. It's still many months away.

Also keeping me busy next month will be my lovely visitors. I'll be beginning March with my two beautiful Godmothers joining me in Rome to check out the sights and sample the vino. Then it shall come to a close with two of my best friends from home coming over to get a full status report, because you know there's more to it all than what I put on here! I love when people come to visit because I get to do all the touristy things which always help me to fall back in love with Rome as I share them with people who I love, and who love me enough to fly all the way to Italy to see me! I'm particularly looking forward to these visits as I've been working on a list of things I still haven't done; such as go inside the Castello Sant'Angelo and go up to the top of the dome of St Peter's. When my parents were here my mum pointed out that they probably won't come back to Rome now, at least for a very long time, as this was in fact their third trip since 2009. This meant that they were really keen to make sure they'd seen all the most important bits, and having had so much time here overall that didn't just mean the main tourist spots. For example, we visited the church of San Giovanni del Laterano, because that meant they've now seen all four of the main churches of Rome. In fact they saved the most important for last. We went round the gallery at Villa Borghese (lots of marble nudity) and my mum made a point of going back to Trevi to throw in some coins, not quite giving up hope on coming back, I think!

It was great seeing my parents and since they've left I'm rather proud of what a busy bee I've been, booking all my trips. Watch this space for my tales.

p.s. Still loving my Kindle and 'Tess of the d'Urbervilles', although I never thought I'd have to worry about my book running out of battery on a train!

p.p.s. I like trains.

No comments:

Post a Comment