'Travel, in the younger sort, is a part of education; in the elder, a part of experience.'
-Francis Bacon

Tuesday 16 April 2013

Summer Dreams and Panics.

As I mentioned in my last post, my new favourite study distraction is dreaming of summer and all the adventures ahead. (Note to self: don't forget about exams as they'll be coming up first.) The most exciting thing about my summer is that I'll end it in Africa where I will be climbing Mount Kilimanjaro in aid of Practical Action, before heading over to Kenya where I'll be volunteering in an orphanage.

Everytime I think of this trip I am filled with excitement- and terror. I don't really know what to expect of the trek itself or have any great idea how my body will handle it. All I know is that I'm stubborn as a mule and will be pushing for the summit... in the snow... in the middle of the night. Luckily, all fears can be calmed by the sounds of Toto... he knows about Africa, he'll lift me to the summit.



This trip will be a real challenge and I'm completely awestruck at the prospect of visiting Africa for the first time, overcoming a huge physical challenge and looking out at the world from the summit of Kibo peak, at 5,895m above sea level. However, this challenge isn't an abstract thing that I'll swan off to do in 5 months. As an Adventure Leader it has become part of my daily routine over the past 6 months as I've been recruiting participants, organising fundraising and supporting my team (who have already raised over £20,000!). That's logistics. Practically I've been working to improve fitness (completely non-existent before October) and have just started to look at how much I'll need to save in order to cover my climbing kit as well as injections and medications.

Travelling to Africa does carry risks and whilst planning your trip you should always go and speak to a Health Advisor. I did this on Friday...

Since signing up for this in September I've been aware of the this side of things and knew that I'd having to pay for malaria tablets and get immunised against Yellow Fever... and probably a couple of other things. I was not ready for this consultation. It was half an hour of
**Rabies.Hepatitis.Meningitis.Malaria.Really.Expensive.**
Pause for minor panic. Listen to Toto.

I've calmed down a bit now and spoken to some friends who've travelled in East Africa before- and luckily even some people that have climbed Kili and so could share all their tips and the wisdom of their experience. I think I've got a plan. It'll be good... and I've got Toto.

I'm trying to focus on how great I'll feel about myself once I've summitted... but all the things I need to do in order to get there can be pretty scary. After each moment of panic I've been making decisions pretty quickly though- I've got my group to think of.

I'm off now to write a fundraising report and finish my essays. Watch this space for updates on Kili preparations- I'm holding off writing about training so far because any confessions will be super embarassing.

**Please visit MyRaising profile. It's a totally safe and secure platform where you can support me by donating directly to Practical Action, whose work saves lives all over the world (including East Africa) my finding innovative ways to use technology to combat poverty.**

What Would Toto Do?

No comments:

Post a Comment