'Travel, in the younger sort, is a part of education; in the elder, a part of experience.'
-Francis Bacon

Monday 15 April 2013

Getting on a Roll...

So last week I had a right good moan. Having spent hours on end in the library I was getting nowhere and feared never reaching a reasonable word count, let alone making any sort of coherent argument, submitting an essay prior to a deadline and obtaining a respectable mark towards my degree.

However, towards the end of the post I had calmed down a bit, remembered that I'm an optimist at heart and set myself some practical targets:

1) Finish at least one of my essays.
2) Take note of something blooming marvelous in my life and tell you all about it on my blog. 

I also set a made a secret third target... (3) Go home and see my family and friends again before true essay panic and exam revision starts.

I can't quite believe it, but I actually did quite well...

Last week started slowly. My first, and most important, target seemed completely out of my reach. The essay I was focusing on needed to be 5,000 words long, my concentration was waning and the words were coming s.l.o.w.l.y. However, on Wednesday I finally started to get some flow  and come Thursday evening I felt confident that I could finish on Friday and, time dependent, even catch a train to London.

Words cannot express my state of euphoria when I walked out of the library on Friday at 4:30pm, instead of my usual 8:30pm. Not only had I finished an essay that had been drawn out like a form of cruel and unusual punishment but I had no reason not to head home. I even arrived early enough to go to the pub! I was so happy.

Having finally gotten my head into the essay game and crossed off a big one from my list as I flying high. Therefore, not only was I happy to go home, but I could really relax and enjoy it. I spent almost all of Saturday out with Mum, trying on clothes... and being spoiled. I got an outfit for a family wedding next month and a gorgeous beige leather jacket. Oh, and mummy might have paid for everythingI told you; SPOILED.

I also got to spend a lot of time with my great friend Jess, who I haven't seen properly to natter to since we went on holiday in September. 6 months is TOO LONG!! It was really nice to just sit in the pub (and then at my house because the pub closed) drinking wine and chatting about... everything. We caught up on everything that's been happening and we hadn't gone into detail on; made plans for the summer; discussed what we'd like to do once I graduate; discussed how much we like wine; talked musics and films- and even had time to reminisce from juniors through to sixth form. Such fun!

Now, that's 2 targets met and celebrated. What about the third? Did I not notice anything beautiful that I just had to rant about? As I already mentioned there are loads of little things about the last few days that have made me happy and excited about the near future, but what's really got be excited right now is the prospect of climbing Mount Kilimanjaro in September. It's so exciting. I spent all of Sunday morning in bed with a cup of tea and my Traveller's Atlas reading about the East Africa... and then branched out and set my sights on the rest of the world. It's so exciting!

The bed buddy's of a wannabe explorer and amateur adventurer...


I now miss home and want to go back. I can't wait for essays and exams to be done so that the sun can come out and I can play!

Anyway, it's back to the library grindstone now, I hope to finish my short essay quickly so that by the weekend I'm only editing and glossing the two that are due throughout next week. Hopefully I'm now well and truly on a roll. 

Watch this space for more info and excitement about my upcoming Kilimanjaro trek and African adventures!

p.s. Enjoy the video. I'm a little bit in love with Nina Nesbitt right now. She has a great voice and is a pretty talented song-writer too...


No comments:

Post a Comment